Welcome to my life.
The life of a Marine's wife,
registered nurse,
dog owner,
wanna-be photographer,
and budding writer.

Friday, January 9, 2015

I dont exist

if I don't have her.
The sun doesn't shine, 
the world doesn't turn. 



ASHLEY, COMMANDING OFFICER.
This has been the most difficult and most spectacular 3 months of my existence. The arrival of Henry has brought us so much fulfillment and joy. I get that it's cliche, but it's so true. I *almost* forget how difficult pregnancy was. Almost.

It's been weird for me to learn how to manage this stay-at-home-mother thing. It's a lot harder than it looks! I have one child and I can't imagine those mothers who have more than that. Seriously, how do ya'll get anything done? Ever. Today, I was joking with my hair stylist about my constant use of dry shampoo. I didn't even know there was such a thing as dry shampoo until I became a mother. Seriously, did ya'll know this product existed? It's amazing. I can go like three days without washing my hair. Don't worry! I wash my body...maybe. Did I shower today? I'll go slap on an extra layer of deodorant. You know, just in case.

But, let me tell you a little about Henry...

HENRY, PRINCE OF WHALES.
Henry is a ginger. He's approximately 26 inches tall (that's 99th percentile for height!). He weighs almost 14 pounds and is the most joyful, beautiful boy. I don't even know how I got to be so blessed with such a sweet baby. I was sure that God would get me for privately calling so many babies weird looking. I mean, a lot of babies are weird looking right?

Maybe ya'll think my kid is weird looking?  Maybe he is. But, you couldn't tell me that. He's perfect.

Everyday I fall more in love with him. It wasn't easy at first, but now that he's beginning to develop a personality? Game on.

Here's what Henry does for me:

I am not a joyful person by nature. I tend to be extremely pessimistic. I'm a worrier. I'm incredibly sarcastic. I talk too much. I am selfish. I talk over people, I get excited. I interrupt. I sometimes say hurtful things without realizing they were actually hurtful. I'm socially awkward. I think everyone is out to get me. I'm sure that people actually hate me behind my back. I've got crazy anxiety. I'm a neat freak, who freezes (or has an emotional breakdown) when my environment cannot be controlled (or gets out of hand). I am critical. I am desperate. I am eager to please others. I'm a germaphobe. I live in a consistent state of stress (my husband says I can't function any other way). I always feel like a burden.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

But here's the thing. To Henry, I am perfect. I am beautiful. I am giving and selfless. I am the source of his comfort and nourishment. I am funny. I give him my undivided attention. I am charismatic. He loves me when he can't see me. I am eager to love him. I want to be a happier person, because he will be a happier person. I always let him talk to me...and I listen. I am care-free. I am positive. I build him up. Seeing him smile is like looking at heaven. I. Am. Joyful.

God knows what He is doing. Henry was an actual missing piece of my life, of my personality, of my spirit. He is strong in the things that I lack. He is actually making me a better human being, much like his father has. I can't even define the husband that Timmy is (he is the most wonderful person I've ever known and probably will ever know).

I have often found myself grieving over my lost childhood. As each day passes, however, I grieve less, because I can give him the childhood he deserves. You know, if the Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise.

I know that one day, he'll have a family of his own. And, no, my existence doesn't revolve around him. I tell you one thing, though, I am better to have known him. I am better that his spirit touched mine. He is medicine for the heart.

I cannot even believe there was a time that I couldn't connect with him. I hope that if you haven't met him yet, that one day you will.

Today, at the grocery store there was a little old lady. She looked at Henry and commented on how observant he is (he has been the most alert baby I've ever seen). She told me that he is an old soul, and he truly is. He is warm and pensive. He is concerned and talkative. He is content to watch me cook or do dishes.

I can't say enough about him. I'm sure other mothers feel the same about their children. But, Henry is mine...and this is my blog. Haha.

I can't wait to explore and learn and have many many adventures with this little man.

TOMATO, THE HUBS.
To say that fatherhood has changed Tomato, is a gross understatement. He loves this kid. He reads to him every night, changes all his diapers (when he is home), sneaks away to come home to kiss him on the forehead. He discusses hunting and current events. He is wonderful.

Henry is so lucky to have Tomato as his father.

Tomato has been working hard here on Parris Island. We've been seeing less of him due to recruit training, but we take what we can. We are blessed that he is such a hard-worker. That he loves us so much.

THE BOYS.

Zero loves Henry, he bathes his head quite regularly and lays on his blankets whenever I forget to take them off the floor. If the baby cries, he becomes concerned. He can often be found checking on the baby or lying on the floor in his room in the middle of the night.

Alpha, is the jealous type. If I'm playing with the baby on the floor, he promptly inserts himself between us an turns his belly toward me. It's pretty funny. He's coming around. Haha.


Song of the Day:
Steal my Girl by One Direction
(Henry's favorite song. Haha.)

No comments:

Post a Comment